How to Evaluate an Orthodontist
Choosing an orthodontist can be a difficult process. Dr. Newhart wants to help you eliminate any confusion about what is best for you or your child. The following questions can assist you in making an informed decision regarding the orthodontic care for you or your child. Most orthodontic treatment will last for 12 to 24 months. Having a comfortable, trusting and informed relationship with your doctor and staff is critical. We look forward to your next visit with us!
–Newhart Orthodontic Team
Consider these PATIENT CARE Questions:
- Is the doctor a trained specialist in orthodontics (an orthodontist) versus a general dentist who does some orthodontics?
- Is the doctor warm, caring, and understanding? Does he take a sincere interest in you?
- Does the doctor have good communication skills? Is everything explained in an easy to understand manner?
- Is the office staff friendly, courteous and organized? Do you feel welcome?
- Patient compliance plays a large role in the success of treatment. Does the atmosphere of the office increase you or your child’s desire to look forward to future visits?
Consider these CONVENIENCE Questions:
- Is the appointment schedule flexible enough to meet your needs including early and late appointments?
- Can you stay with the same doctor and choose from multiple locations conveniently located to accommodate changes in your home, work or school schedule?
- Is the office designed with separate areas for toddlers, teens and adults?
- Is the orthodontic office fully computerized indicating that the orthodontist is organized and up to date?
- Does the orthodontic office file your insurance claims for you?
Consider these FINANCIAL Questions:
- Are there flexible payment plan options?
- Does the orthodontic office offer you payment plans with NO DOWN PAYMENT?
- Does the orthodontic office offer you payment plans with NO INTEREST CHARGES?
- Does the orthodontic office offer you payment plans which extend up to 5 years with payments as low as $79/month?
- Does the orthodontic office offer you convenient methods of payment including monthly statements, automatic credit card deductions and electronic fund transfer from your bank account?
- Does the orthodontic office accept payments directly from your insurance company rather than requiring you to pay then wait for reimbursement?